DRAFT PRESS RELEASE
27 November, 2013
ALLOYMTD’S CEO RECEIVES HONORARY DOCTORATE BY UNIVERSITY OF HERTFORDSHIRE, UNITED KINGDOM
Kuala Lumpur – The University of Hertfordshire, United Kingdom has conferred AlloyMtd Group President & Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Dato’ Azmil Khalid an Honorary Doctor of Science Degree, in recognition of his efforts in developing the Malaysia’s business industry and demonstrating a vibrant leadership skills in Malaysia.
Dato’ Azmil, alumni of the University of Hertfordshire, received his Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineering from Hatfield Polytechnic in 1981, one of the University’s former institutions. The ceremony was held in Cathedral and Abbey Church of St Albans, United Kingdom alongside 4,400 new graduates.
Dato’ Azmil was appointed as Group Managing Director of MTD Capital Bhd in 1996, and re-designated as President and Chief Executive Officer in 2009. Under this capacity, Azmil oversees the operations and activities of AlloyMtd Group’s various subsidiaries across 15 countries.
Upon receiving his Award, Dato’ Azmil said, “It is an honour and a privilege to be bestowed this prestigious award by one of the most reputable tertiary institutions in the United Kingdom. I accept the award on behalf of the many Malaysians who have had the privilege of studying at the University of Hertfordshire as well as those who are still pursuing their studies here. It is an even greater honour to receive this honorary award in recognition of my contributions to the AlloyMtd Group of Malaysia and I am both grateful and humbled.”
The recognition exemplified the cream of the crop in Malaysia’s business sector that demonstrated excellence in performance, leadership and track record.
“Azmil is a progressive thinker with a strong social conscience; he uses his influence both to develop home-grown leadership talent and to promote strong trading relationships with the wider region. He particularly values his time at Hatfield for the practical insights he gained during his year in industry. His studies also taught him discipline and how to carefully evaluate proposals, which are skills he now applies in his every day work,” said Mr Quintin McKellar, Vice-Chancellor of Hertfordshire University.
University of Hertfordshire has also presented the Awards to twenty other pillars of the community by awarding Honorary Degrees and Fellowships for outstanding contribution to academic disciplines, charity, professions and public service.
&&& END &&&
For media enquiries, please contact:
- Fazlyaton Hussein, Head, Communications Department at email@example.com
- Hafizah Mohd Sabri, Senior Executive, Communications at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Haniff Ali, Communications Executive at email@example.com
News release is produced by:
1, Jalan Batu Caves, 68100 Batu Caves, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
Tel : 03-6195 1111 Fax : 03-6188 0101 Website : www.alloymtd.com
Note to Editor
About the University of Hertfordshire
- The University is the UK’s leading business-facing university and an exemplar in the sector. It is innovative and enterprising and challenges individuals and organisations to excel.
- The University of Hertfordshire is one of the region’s largest employers with over 2,650 staff and a turnover of almost £233 million. With a student community of over 27,200 including more than 2,800 students from eighty-five different countries, the University has a global network of over 175,000 alumni.
- It is also one of the top 100 universities in the world under 50 years old, according to the new Times Higher Education 100 under 50 rankings 2012.
- For more information, please visit www.herts.ac.uk
About Dato’ Azmil Khalid:
- Upon graduating, Dato’ Azmil chalked up solid experience at Tarmac International Construction Company in the UK, and upon his return to Malaysia in 1986, with Trust International Insurance and Citibank. During this time he also added an MBA from the California State University to his credentials.
- Operating across five continents, the AlloyMtd Group has an excellent track record in civil engineering & construction, manufacturing, operations & maintenance, infrastructure development, energy, port operations, and real estate & property development. Since it was formed in 1980 the Group has completed high-profile construction contracts worth in excess of 20 billions of Malaysian Ringgit. These include improvements to Saudi Arabia’s six-storey Jamarat Bridge; improvements to the South Luzon Expressway in the Philippines, including the operations and maintenance concession, involvement in the metro systems in India and the UAE, and very soon in Qatar; plus nation-building projects in Malaysia such as the East Coast Expressway which have certainly contributed to the nation’s progress.
- Dato’ Azmil has also led the AlloyMtd Group in undertaking real estate and property development activities in Chile, Australia, Europe and the USA. The latest acquisition in the UK on a prime location in London EC2, marks the group’s re-entry into the London property market.
- Dato’ Azmil is also Chairman of the Group’s foreign subsidiary MTD Walkers PLC, which is listed on the Colombo Stock Exchange in Sri Lanka. In addition, he holds directorships in several public companies; most significantly with Daya Materials Berhad, a major player in oil and gas; Touch N Go Sdn Bhd, an electronic toll collection operator; and Environment Idaman Sdn Bhd, a solid waste concession company. He is also a board member of several private limited companies.
- Dato’ Azmil is also is on the advisory committees of both the Indonesian and Sri Lankan trade missions. He is also the Chairman of the revived Malaysia-Philippines Business Council, and in 2012, accompanied the Malaysian premier on a visit to Manila as part of a delegation to promote greater cooperation and closer trading links.
- AlloyMtd sponsors corporate social responsibility programmes in the countries it operates in and Dato’ Azmil has played a key role in developing leadership talent by helping young professionals in his own organisation to climb the career ladder.
- Dato’ Azmil is also a Trustee of the Perdana Foundation, a centre for research and learning dedicated to the study of Malaysian leadership and nation-building. Aside from preserving and disseminating information on Malaysian prime ministers, the foundation provides a platform for reflection, debate and discussion with distinguished figures in Malaysian leadership.